Monday 5 January 2015

Food: Herbalicious

Uh huh. Herbalicious....like Bootylicious but with herbs, no?

Anyhow, I digress. On Friday, I wrote about how one of my Resolutions for 2015 was to Waste Less Food. And as a result - save £££.

How many half-used packets of Fresh Herbs do you throw away? I'll bear my shame, I chuck them out of the veg drawer more often than I like to admit. As I did my Fridge Scan yesterday I noticed that I had half a packet of Fresh Thyme and the same of Parsley that were starting to look a little sorry for themselves. Instead of turning a blind eye, I resolved to try and do something with them.

A quick Google search later and I found that one of the easiest ways to preserve your herbs is to freeze them, in an ice cube tray with either water, butter or olive oil.

Firstly you need to prep your Herbs. Wash 'em and get them off those stalks and ready to use. I thought this would take FOREVER. I was wrong, just over 5 minutes later and my herbs were ready to rock and roll.




Take an ice-cube tray, and fill each "cube" 2/3rds full with your herbs.


Top up the rest with your liquid of choice. For the Thyme I chose Olive Oil.




And for the Parsley I chose water.


I left them in the freezer over night then popped out my little flavour cubes this morning.

Such sweet satisfaction. I can't wait to add these to soups, risotto's etc. I alway use the "absorption method" when cooking rice and quinoa so these will help add a little fresh herby flavour kick to those grains.

All for the price of something I was going to throw in the bin, and 5 mins work. Boom.






No comments:

Post a Comment